This race is now finished. Well done to all paddlers – everyone who started completed the course in heat and blazing sunshine.
We had a strong international contingent with several paddlers travelling a long way to be with us – cheers!Event Details Categories Race Entry Qualification Other Info Event Details
This year the Icon Classic will also be the British Championship Event for single skis.
Entry Deadline: Midnight Friday 15th JuneEarly Entry Discount Ends 10th June – after this date all entries are +20%
Early bird – £29 singles and boards, £50 doubles
Standard Rate – £34.80 singles and boards, £60 doubles.
Better start position the earlier you enter
Registration: 09:00. Woolacombe Village Hall. EX34 7BT
Main Race Start: 14:00 (slower start 13:50)
Post-race meal at The Tides Inn Pub, Woolacombe. 18:30hrs. Don’t forget to tick box for food order.
Handheld orange smoke flare, buoyancy aids & whistles compulsory
Leash may be compulsory on the day – don’t forget!
Mobile phone / EPIRB recommended.
There will be two starts approx. 10 mins apart. Please tick box if you would like to start in the slower, earlier group. SUPs & OCs will leave Lee Bay at same time as the main ski group.Categories
- Open Men Single Ski
- Open Ladies Single Ski
- U23 Men Single Ski
- U23 Ladies Single Ski
- Open Men ILS Single Ski
- Open Women ILS Single Ski
- Masters Men (40+) Single Ski
- Veterans (55+) Single Ski
- Open Double Ski (any combintation)
- Open Men SUP
- Open Ladies SUP
- Open Men OC1
- Open Ladies OC
- Open Prone Paddle Board
As this is the GB Surfski Championships for 2018 and due to the difficulty of gauging everyones ability on the ocean / completing the course within the finishing window, we have a few criteria that will help us improve the overall standard of event entry and reduce the chances of someone entering an event that is beyond their skill level, or is too long in completing the course. You will need to satisfy at least one of the criteria below:
- Be 16 or over in the year of the race
- Successfully completed the Icon Classic before (give year and place of latest ICON result)
- Successfully completed a well-known international SurfSki race (give year and place of result)
- Successfully complete the Epic Ski Race at Exmouth on Sat June 9th 2018. You will need to complete the lap course without requiring any assistance from safety crews. You will also need to complete at least two laps of the three lap course (course closes once lead ski has completed 3 laps).
Epic Bay is a 3 lap course – which once the lead ski completes three laps, the ‘course’ closes and the remaining paddlers on the course complete the lap they are on and head into the finish.
- If you complete three laps you can enter the Icon Classic main start.
- If you complete two laps you can enter the Icon Classic slow start.
- If you only complete one lap or less you cannot start the Icon Classic this year.
As a last resort, should the above options not be possible a box will appear in the online entry form where you can fill in extra information detailing your paddling experience. This info will need to be verified and approved by another paddler that can vouch for your experience. The other paddler will need to have completed the Icon Classic or another recognised event. We’ll collect their details from you, and a message will automatically be sent to the race organiser (Mark Ressel) with your witness cc’d. Mark’s decision is final.Other Info
- Alternative Race Course: Depending on conditions, the alternative course is a circuit event starting and finishing at Combe Martin.
- All day parking available at registration venue. All day Pay & Display available at Combe Martin.
- Insurance – All competitors must be insured through SLSGB. This can be with a £5 day ticket (please see the link at the bottom of the entry registration page to buy this with your entry) or with annual SLSGB membership. Please ensure one of these options is completed or entry will not be accepted.
- Please allow plenty of time to leave cars / trailers at Combe Martin. Woolacombe to Combe Martin and back is approx a 90 minute journey.
- The Race distance and winning time for single skis is approx. 17km and 80mins respectively. Race distance for SUPs is approx. 11km. Medal ceremony will be on the beach approximately one hour after the last competitor finishes.
- Accommodation – there are plenty of options: Woolacombe Bay Holiday Parks, Woolacombe Sands Holiday Park, North Morte Caravan & Camping Park, Beach House Surf Lodge – Woolacombe, Smugglers Rest – Mortehoe, Imperial Hotel – Woolacombe or try Woolacombe Tourist Information Centre.
- Evening Meal – The post-race meal is also a great part of the Icon Classic event that normally attracts about 100 people. The Tides Inn Pub offers a great view across Woolacombe Bay and its amazing sunsets. There’s nothing like sharing post-race banter over a pint with fellow competitors and other halves.